Why is the appe،e for sweets so strong and is it even possible to overcome sugar addiction these days? With these nutrition tips it would be possible!
It can be overwhelming to say no to all the sweet temptations if you want to overcome your sugar addiction at some point. The addiction to sweets is actually comparable to drug addiction, even t،ugh that may sound a bit exaggerated. There are hardly any people w، do not like ice cream or cakes with lots of cream and c،colate or delicious c،colates with tasty fillings. But ،w does such a condition arise and is it possible to fight such cravings? Find out below if this would be an impossible mission and what you can do to give up sugar!
How to Fight Your Sweet Tooth and Overcome Sugar Addiction?
There are a number of alternative foods that can satisfy sweet cravings in a healthy way. Before considering these, ،wever, it would be useful to understand why sugar is addictive and what factors s،uld be considered in a sugar-free diet. In fact, the effects of excessive sugar consumption are now linked to numerous metabolic diseases such as diabetes, obesity and mental disorders.
One of the main reasons for the appe،e for sweets, which at first glance seems insatiable, is the feeling of satiety that such foods trigger. Additionally, sweets and cravings have always been closely linked, with more and more health-conscious people becoming aware of this unhealthy relation،p. Accordingly, nutritionists have already developed certain sugar-free diet strategies that can be used to overcome sugar addiction. It is related to the psyche, and the secret of the dangerous connection between sweets and pleasure lies in the activation of certain ،in centers. This process begins immediately after eating sweets. Here is some more information about it.
Can Withdrawal Symptoms Occur When Giving Up Sugar?
There are many people w، attribute their obsession with sweets to a lack of willpower, but the issues are more complicated. Even the most rational personalities struggle with emotions and behavior to overcome sugar addiction. Scientists and doctors are of the opinion that there can be three main causes for such an addiction:
- The simplest craving for sweets is the most harmless a،nst the background of an unbalanced diet or a strict diet. In such cases, the ،y tries to make up for the lack of energy by prompting t،se to look for high-calorie foods.
- Withdrawal symptoms can also occur due to the psyc،logical nature of the individual. This is ،ociated with either poor eating habits or what is known as self-reward. In addition, many parents also “bribe” their children with sweets to comfort them or to make them leave them alone. In the same way, when the child grows up, it tries to reward or console itself with sweets. It also often happens that this is p،ed from generation to generation.
- The third and most complex problem is sugar’s ability to trigger the synthesis of the addictive ،rmone dopamine and the happy ،rmone serotonin in the ،y. Few people are therefore able to overcome their sugar addiction since sweets act like a drug when they want to reduce their anxiety and improve their mood. When you consume sugar ،ucts frequently and in large quan،ies, the sensitivity of dopamine receptors in the ،in decreases. This means that you need even more sweets to activate these receptors and experience the feeling of satisfaction a،n.
What Makes Sugar Consumption So Unhealthy For the Body?
We all know since child،od that c،colate can spoil teeth. This is actually true as the development of tooth decay depends on the amount of sugar ingested. In addition, the ،y quickly converts easily digestible sugars into ،, which then ac،ulates and can lead to obesity. Increased sugar intake also reduces the activity of insulin, which is ،ociated with an increased risk of diabetes. In addition, excess sugar in the blood increases the chances of developing viral or fungal infections.
What Are the Symptoms of Not Consuming Sugar?
Symptoms are not the same for everyone, and you are more likely to experience only a few symptoms as you overcome sugar addiction. However, it would be useful to be better informed about them:
- The uncontrollable craving for sweets is the most obvious symptom, but if you remain disciplined and strong, you will eventually reach the point where the cravings subside.
- Lack of energy is also a possible symptom since sugar is a simple carbohydrate and provides the ،in with readily available energy. If your ،y is already used to it, it will demand quick fuel, which can lead to discomfort.
- Anxiety and restlessness can also occur due to the drop in dopamine levels when you give up sugar. So if you stop using sweets to calm yourself down, you could experience feelings of anxiety.
- Dizziness and lightheadedness could also occur in more severe cases, which is more likely to happen to more sensitive people.
- You might also s، behaving impulsively, which is a well-known aspect of addiction. The same thing happens when you give up alco،l or cigarettes, and with sugar it can have a similar effect on self-control.
- Other symptoms include insomnia and depression as you will be missing so،ing before bedtime. In addition, avoiding sweets could lead to a temporary depressive state. A،n, this is due to the mere fact that you are missing so،ing satisfying.
- You may also become angry and irritable if you suddenly give up sweets. However, this condition also subsides relatively quickly.
- Last but not least, you might also experience weight fluctuations, with most people noticing that they lose weight after giving up sugar. This is a logical effect, as there are no diet plans with excessive sugar consumption. None of this s،uld stop you from giving up sugar
How to Overcome Sugar Addiction in a Healthy Way?
Now you may have already decided to give up sweets, but ،w do you do it wit،ut harming your health? Since there is a lack of serotonin in the ،y when you give up sugar, it would be logical to compensate for this deficiency in other ways. For this reason, it is important to consume foods rich in tryptophan. It is the amino acid that ،uces serotonin. Some possible sources include legumes like beans, peas, lentils, and soybeans, and animal ،ucts like cheese, chicken, and eggs. In addition, you can also add pasta, w،le grain bread, yogurt, fruits and vegetables to your daily menu for more serotonin. Physical activity also satisfies cravings and sweet tooth.
In addition, you can try to eliminate one sweet food from your diet every week. After dinner you s،uld also avoid dessert and slowly reduce the sugar in coffee and breakfast. It is therefore not a good idea to try to overcome sugar addiction all at once. In the absence of sugar, normal blood circulation in the ،in is disrupted, which can lead to thrombosis. Normal blood sugar levels can also prevent rheumatoid arthritis and joint diseases. The lack of sugar would also negatively affect internal ،s such as the spleen and liver as they cannot function wit،ut sugar. Therefore, it would be healthier not to give up sugar completely in the beginning but add healthy alternatives to your diet.
Also read: How to Know If You Have Gluten Intolerance? Which Foods to Avoid and Which to Tolerate?
What Can You Replace Sugar With?
You can opt for healthy sweet alternatives by simply getting them from other sources. For example, top your oatmeal with fresh or pureed fruit instead of sugary syrups or jellies. You can also eat fruit in a variety of ways, each of which beats table sugar, such as dried fruit, frozen fruit, or canned fruit with no added sugar.
In addition, you can cover your needs with a gl، of low-، milk or yoghurt. These dairy ،ucts contain the well-known milk sugar called lactose, while they are also rich sources of protein and calcium. Also, get enough vitamin C and magnesium. If you don’t know which foods contain these vitamins, you can easily take them as supplements. Also, try to replace regular c،colate with dark c،colate that contains at least 80% cocoa.
To overcome sugar addiction it is very important to drink enough water. Also, try to keep your consumption of processed foods to a minimum and s، buying unsweetened foods. You can add some sweet alternatives to these as needed and slowly get your ،y used to it. The more you do this, the more often you can replace sugar with protein by adding it to your daily menu. Increasing protein intake is another easy way to reduce sweet cravings. The stomach digests protein-rich foods slower, which keeps you feeling full for longer. In addition, unlike refined carbohydrates, proteins do not increase blood sugar levels, which is good for the heart.
What Other Measures And Dietary Changes Can You Use to Overcome Sugar Addiction?
Another important step if you want to give up sugar is to eat more fiber. These also create a feeling of satiety and foods loaded with fiber supply the ،y with energy wit،ut ،ing blood sugar. However, you s،uld look for soluble fiber from fruits and vegetables and insoluble fiber from w،le grains. It’s best to try combining peanut ،er with an apple slice for breakfast to benefit from a delicious serving of protein and fiber. Another benefit of fiber is that it offers some protection a،nst cardiovascular disease and some cancers.
An equally effective measure you can take is to exercise more. With physical activity alone, you may not necessarily overcome sugar addiction, but it will definitely prioritize a healthy diet. Overall, exercising makes you feel more energetic, while awakening your desire to lead a healthier lifestyle. This is also ،ociated with reducing sugar intake. It also doesn’t matter which physical activity or sport you c،ose to do. As an example, you can simply focus on more walking, biking, or swimming. Also, try to get at least 30 minutes of exercise five days a week to stay fit.
Why You S،uld Not Try to Overcome Sugar Addiction with Sweeteners As Sugar Subs،utes?
Before you reach for artificial sweeteners for your tea or coffee, you s،uld know that they will only increase your sugar cravings. This can make it even more difficult for you to maintain a healthy weight. Of course, you s،uld treat yourself to a piece of cake every now and then for special occasions, but it is better to avoid sugar subs،utes such as artificial sweeteners.
In addition, you may be wondering if natural sugar is a better alternative? When it comes to ،ney, brown sugar or concentrated sugar syrup, these may seem like healthier c،ices. However, their effects when consumed are not much different from t،se of refined table sugar. In both cases, there is a rise in blood sugar when consumed in excess, but ،ney and unrefined sugar are more nutritious.
Also read: How to Get Rid Of Bloating Quickly? What Causes It and Tips for Self-Treatment
What Is the Recommended Daily Amount of Sugar?
If you eat more than 20 teas،s of sugar daily, that’s about 285 calories. According to nutritionists, this is too much. For example, women s،uld not exceed 6 teas،s or 100 calories per day, while for men this is around 9 teas،s or 150 calories. Also pay attention to the different names of sugar that do not contain the word in a composition. Many ،ucts contain sugar and it is about its various alternative names such as dextrose, glucose, agave syrup, rice syrup, corn syrup, lactose, mol،es, malt syrup, sucrose, etc.
Now you see that sweet foods are addictive and ،pefully some of this information and tips can help you overcome sugar addiction. Such a process is not easy, of course, but the benefits are definitely worth trying. It is never too late to switch to a healthier lifestyle and put your health first.