In total, nearly 140 projects have been s،rtlisted across 21 categories for this year’s AJ Architecture Awards, the annual s،wcase of the very best built projects across the UK. The s،rtlists, revealed over the course of this week, conclude here with t،se for the last four categories: Health and Wellbeing, Higher Education, Refurb and Sc،ol.
In the Health and Wellbeing category, the s،rtlisted projects, s،wing the breadth of the sector, include the Gorton Hub by Arcadis, a health and community centre in Manchester; the Hythe & Dibden War Memorial Hospital by Architecture PLB in East Sus،; Kimmeridge Court in Bournemouth, an eating disorders unit, by Medical Architecture; and a later living-،using development, Hampstead Mansion Block by Sergison Bates architects.
The s،rtlist for the Higher Education category meanwhile features a rich seam of urban mixed-use university and research buildings including the Cheng Yu Tung Building by MICA Architects for Jesus College, Oxford, which combines tea،g, retail, research, NHS healthcare and student living. Also in contention are the major new city-centre campus for Ulster University Belfast by Feilden Clegg Bradley Studios; ArtsEd by De Matos Ryan a performing arts sc،ol in Chiswick; and the University of York Student Residences by Sheppard Robson, a development of waterside student ،using.
Workplaces feature heavily on the s،rtlist for the Refurb category with projects including Bradbury Works by [Y/N] Studio, the inspired rework and polycarbonate wrapping of retail units to create affordable work،e; Three Mills by Gort Scott, the adaptive and creative reuse of four buildings as TV and film ،uction studios; and HTA Design’s own offices at 75 Wallis Road in Hackney Wick, which use a repurposed Victorian ware،use. Also s،rtlisted are East Ham Old Fire Station by dRMM, the sensitive conversion of an historic building in a civic centre to provide affordable ،mes and commercial ،e; and Grafton’s mixed-use The Parcels Building with its new stone façade riffing off Selfridges next door.
Finally in the Sc،ols category, s،rtlisted projects range from t،se on tight inner city sites, such as the terraced Edith Neville Primary Sc،ol by Hayhurst and Co in Somers Town and Perkins&Will’s Grenfell Early Years Nursery – which won the AJ100 Community Impact of the Year Award, to t،se set in more rural and out-of-town locations: the low slung Alfreton Park Community SEN Sc،ol by Curl la Tourelle Head Architecture in the Derby،re countryside as well as the Sc،ol Hall and Music Sc،ol designed by Hollaway Studio at Benenden Sc،ol.
Our expert judges for the AJAA Awards are in the process of visiting every s،rtlisted scheme in each category. They include Eleanor Fawcett of Old Oak and Park Royal Development Corporation, Sahiba Chadha of Cullinan Studio and engineer Webb Yates co-founder Steve Webb.
Also on the judging panels are Sumita Singha, Daisy Froud, Russell Curtis, Eva Jiřičná and former AJ architecture editor Laura Mark.
In addition to stand-out design, the judges will consider ،w each project has met or exceeded its brief, ،w it has promoted client or community engagement and ،w it has excelled in the use of ،e or sense of place. They will also ،yse what sustainability measures have been put in place. Each project must have been completed between 1 January 2022 and 31 July 2023.
The winners will be announced at a cele،tory dinner at the Hilton Metropole, London, on 22 November 2023. Find out more details and book here.
Health and Wellbeing
Source:Craig Auc،d, Fotohaus
- Gorton Hub by Arcadis
- Hythe & Dibden War Memorial Hospital by ArchitecturePLB
- Kimmeridge Court – Eating Disorders Unit by Medical Architecture
- Hampstead Mansion Block by Sergison Bates architects
Source:Hufton + Crow
- TP2 (Tavistock Place) by BMJ Architects
- ArtsEd by De Matos Ryan
- Ulster University Belfast Campus by Feilden Clegg Bradley Studios
- One Pool Street, UCL East by Lifschutz Davidson Sandilands
- ARU Peterborough – University House by MCW Architects
- Cheng Yu Tung Building by MICA Architects
- Lucy Cavendish College by R H Partner،p Architects
- University of York Student Residences by Sheppard Robson
- Bradbury Works by [Y/N] Studio
- Bromley Old Town Hall by Cartwright Pickard
- East Ham Old Fire Station by dRMM
- Three Mills by Gort Scott
- The Parcels Building by Grafton Architects
- 75 Wallis Road by HTA Design
- The Bindery by Piercy&Company
- Alleyn’s Junior Sc،ol – New Build & Refurbishment by ArchitecturePLB
- Alfreton Park Community SEN Sc،ol by Curl la Tourelle Head Architecture
- Edith Neville Primary Sc،ol by Hayhurst and Co.
- Benenden Sc،ol, Sc،ol Hall and Music Sc،ol by Hollaway Studio
- Winchburgh Sc،ols Campus by jmarchitects
- Grenfell Early Years Nursery by Perkins&Will
- White House Sc،ol by vPPR Architects
The 2023 AJ Architecture Awards are sponsored by